Without exception, potential buyers will consider the kitchen when evaluating whether they are willing to pay the asking price of your property. A kitchen remodel is one of the best ways to add value to your house, and if done correctly, it can give you close to a 100 percent return on your investment.
So, how do you go about ensuring that the upgraded kitchen adds value?
· Although this may sound strange, gourmet, state-of-the art kitchens can be a distraction rather than a value-add. If you have an older house decorated and fitted Old Cape style, the modern steel-and-glass kitchen will stand out like a sore thumb.
· Avoid clutter. Sure, it would be nice to have an island countertop, but is this practical in your available space? Potential buyers always look for space to move around in kitchens.
· Having said that, sufficient counter and cupboard space is a must. Use all the available space you have without making the kitchen feel cramped.
· Granite countertops are very popular with buyers, but use a colour and design that will be as widely fashionable as possible.
· The splash-backs between countertops and higher cupboards are really feature walls which can be a very effective and relatively cheap way to attract buyers. Consider the myriad of possibilities regarding stone cladding instead of tiles.
· Use down-lights underneath the cupboards or in bulkheads to light splash-backs and countertops for a warm and welcoming atmosphere in kitchens.
· As in bathrooms, lighting in kitchens is extremely important, so be sure to have sufficient light and use light fittings that match the general look of the kitchen.